Sunday, December 11, 2011

Making Our Own Laundry Detergent Night

Lately, I noticed that I have been purchasing so much laundry detergent that it is getting ridiculous.  Laundry detergent prices are ridiculous even with a coupon and the pace at which we use it up is driving me crazy.

So this week, I picked up some Arm & Hammer Washing Soda to start making our own laundry detergent again like we always used to do in Maryland.  Our kids decided that they wanted in on the action of making three batches of powdered laundry detergent tonight.  Tyler was in charge of measuring out the one cup of Borax under my supervision, Lane was responsible for measuring out the one cup of Super Washing Soda and I was in charge of measuring out the two and a half cups of Irish Spring shredded bar soap (you can use any scent bar soap that you prefer). 


We still had some of the ingredients from when we lived in Maryland, so I used the Super Washing Soda I purchased at Walmart this week along with the other ingredients I already had and whipped up three recipes which should last us for awhile.  To shred the bar soap, I used the shredder attachment for my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer.  We store our powdered laundry detergent in plastic containers with screw on tops.

Some people may say that we spend more time making up the batches then it is worth.  To that I say our family has always enjoyed doing things together and taking a few minutes to make laundry detergent together is no different.  The first year we made our own laundry detergent we only spent about $50 that year on all the supplies.  We will have to see if the prices still ring true here in California where everything seems to be expensive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment